I have tried countless times to do the infamous ombré manicure and have failed horribly. Until today. After reading so many tutorials on using a damp makeup sponge, and layering color upon color at once, I figured something wasn’t right: the moisture level!
Here’s what you’ll need: a clear coat, 3 nail polish colors and one makeup sponge.
1) Start with your base cost. After it dries, choose one of three colors and paint both hands. LET IT DRY COMPLETELY!
2) After, choose your second color and paint a small section of one side of your DRY makeup sponge. Dab the sponge halfway down each of your nails. It’s okay if it’s a little messy.
3) Repeat step 2 with your third color, dabbing onto the tip of your nails. Let the colors set.
4) Now step 4 is very important because it will blend your ombré manicure. If you did steps 1-3 correctly, your nails will look like very bright, blunt stripes. Take your makeup sponge and rip it in half, creating a textured edge! Simply repeat steps 2 and 3 but using the bumpy, textured side of the sponge. This should make your mani look like a continuous gradient.
5) Finish it off with a clear top coat, and make sure to leave plenty of dry time!